Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Darfur and the ICC

NEW YORK: Yes, it gets tiring to see things getting worse but not better and it's easy to be a cynic. But a really good friend recently reminded me that we need to "be the change [we] wish to see in the world".

I sent the following letter to Condi Rice and my elected representatives in US Congress. You can do the same here: Take Action

July 11, 2006
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street NW
Washington, DC 20520

Dear Condoleezza Rice,
I am profoundly concerned about the egregious crimes committed against the people of Darfur. I believe that the International Criminal Court (ICC) is an important instrument to protect human rights in Sudan, as well as deter future crimes in the region. I appreciate the U.S. administration's willingness to assist the ICC in carrying out its work in Darfur, and I urge even closer cooperation with the Court in the future. Please do everything in your power to keep pressure on the Government of Sudan to cooperate with the ICC investigation.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Heddy N.

No comments: