Thursday, September 28, 2006

An activist perspective: Part 2

Well I'm at day 7 of my Darfur awareness champaing and it's really been going better than expected! Sadly today, my idiot self forgot to bring the sign! But I stil passed out the flyer's, which I took advantage of sticking them in locker's. One of the assistant principles, whom I like, said that he was told about ''a girl wearing a huge sign'' and had a feeling that it was me. Teacher's have continued to congratulate me on my stance. My geometry teacher invited me to join the African/Hatian American club, since they might be able to help me with Darfur awarness, which the members totally agree on! Sometimes, my mind drifts and trying to contemplate the massive human suffering in Darfur: women and girls getting raped, whole families murdered, children starving and that's just the tip of the iceburg! I can feel my heart sinking with despair because the world is witnessing a sequel of Rwanda. It's like I said, ''Those who don't remember history, are doomed to repeat it.'' Obiously the world hasn't learned it's lesson of Rwanda and other genocides in the past, which doesn't surprize me the least bit sad to say. I will say this again and again if I have too: I will be DAMNED if I'm going to stay silent while genocide is occuring. If and when my children and grandchildren will ask me If I did anything about Darfur, I'll be proud to sat that I did do something to wake up my classmates into doing something for Darfur.

No comments: