Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Jeffrey Sachs - Reith Lecture

Today Jeffrey Sachs (Director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University), gave the first Reith Lecture, a series of discussions on BBC Radio, which tackle some of the challenges facing our world today. This first lecture was very relevant and in tune with the work of Never Again, and our methodology of critical thinking and connectivity.

He ended by quoting former US President Kennedy:
"So, let us not be blind to our differences - but let us also direct attention to our common interests and to means by which those differences can be resolved. And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal."

I recommend you to listen to his speach or read the transcript. His next lecture will be delivered from Peking University, Beijing in China [for those of us in London, he will also be delivering one at SOAS; and for us in New York, at Columbia].

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard it on BBC World Service as I drove home, and sat listening to the rest long after I'd parked. I was surprised that those who asked questions sounded so skeptical and uninspired, but he handled them pretty elegantly I thought.

Like you, I thought how well his philosophy chimes with that of Never Again.

I think I'd like to work for Mr Sachs. For the time being, though, I'll certainly tune in for the rest.

Ruth said...

Thanks for posting it! I think he wrote a book and he wrote an excellent article in Time magazine. He's great!